My name is Kevin van den Essen (22/03/1994) from Helmond (Netherlands) and I'd like to thank you for taking the time to browse my website.
What do you really want to do? That's the question I was asked after a series of disappointing job applications in 2020. I've known the answer since I completed a creative writing minor during my journalism studies: I want to write (interactive) fiction.
In 2021 I made the rigorous decision to focus all my efforts on achieving this goal. I stopped applying for jobs, began working extra hours at PostNL (a part-time job I've held since 2010) and started a creative writing course at the Schrijversacademie where I completed the basic course and a specialized course on science fiction and fantasy.
I've come to realize that writing (interactive) fiction is, for a number of reasons, not an easy path to follow. That's why I'm always looking for new opportunities that can both challenge my skills and allow me to keep chasing my dream. Below you'll find a short summary of my skills, personality and interests.
Myself in bullet points
- Degree in IT with a focus on application development (post-secondary vocational education level 4)
- Bachelor of Arts in Journalism
- Precise and serious, but also likes to crack (bad) jokes
- Thinks in solutions, not in problems
- Loyal: has worked at PostNL for 12+ years and contributed to a transition that changed the way colleagues work in a large part of Helmond
- Proficient in Dutch and English
- Creative writer
- Avid gamer (20+ years) and close follower of the game industry
- Lover of music (rock, metal, progressive, symphonic and many others)
- Crazy about fantasy, science fiction and western stories
You can find a more complete overview of my cv on LinkedIn. On the Other Tales page you'll find a portfolio of (journalistic) articles I've written and on the Black Halo Interactive page you can learn more about my interactive fiction. Do you have any questions? Feel free to send an email to email@example.com or contact me via LinkedIn.